Foxtel lays out 2016 timeline for site-blocking court case

December 2, 2015 12:32 pm


Foxtel has confirmed it plans to "initiate action shortly", in what would be the first test of Australia's new site-blocking laws.

The pay TV company is "getting ready to launch the first court action under legislation designed to block web sites that illegally offer film and TV content," reports Inside Film

While specific timelines are not currently available, and no court case has yet been filed, it's likely that the matter will be heard sometime in 2016.

The law case's target, or targets, for site-blocking is also not yet known.

But s115a.com has been told it's likely to more than one, meaning several websites will be targeted under the site-blocking action.

"We plan to initiate action shortly and would expect the matter to be heard sometime in the New Year, subject to court timetables." said a spokesman for Foxtel.

"We plan to bring an action ourselves and we understand that others are looking to do the same."

Technology website Delimiter has analysed Foxtel's submission to parliamentary inquiries on site-blocking, and tips the Pirate Bay will likely be a target.

Last week it was revealed that Village Roadshow was also getting ready to launch a site-blocking application.

More coverage



Be notified when the blockings begin

Via Email

* indicates required